Monday, May 19, 2008

Just starting off........

This blog will chronicle our family as we try to help our children become bilingual. I am starting this blog to share experiences and to gain insight from others. Please join us on this journey as we try to raise our children to be global citizens!

To start off, we have three young children. They are ages 1, 3, and 5. I have always found it fascinating when people know more than one language. Unfortunately neither I nor my husband is fluent in a second language. I grew up speaking Cantonese which is a dialect of Chinese. I can still speak Cantonese, but it is more of the "kitchen table" Cantonese. This means that I can understand and speak basic Cantonese involving experiences that occur everyday. I would not be able to speak in depth about poetry or anything like that in Cantonese. I took Spanish in high school so I have a working knowledge of it. My Spanish is rusty though since I have not used it in several years.

My husband has a working knowledge of Spanish as well from high school. I think these days that almost everybody in the US knows a few words in Spanish. My husband is also conversational in Japanese. He took Japanese in school as well.

We would like our children to be bilingual. We believe that this will open opportunities for them in the future in terms of career as well as make them more open-minded.

In the coming weeks, I plan to do the following:
1) Centralize several foreign language websites and resources by categorizing them so that parents will have a easier time finding what they need about children learning a foreign language.
2) We will also review and discuss some foreign language materials that my husband and I have used.

No comments: